Tell Us About Your Case
10 Steps If You're In An Accident
- Don't admit anything yet, even if you think you may be at fault. If the other driver admits to being at fault, remember and write down what they say.
- Talk to the other driver, and get their: driver's license number, address, phone, vehicle registration and car insurance information.
- If the other driver doesn't stop, try (safely) to get their license plate number. You can use a camera if you have one.
- Look for witnesses and get their contact information, especially from witnesses who believe you were not at fault.
- Get medical help if you're injured (that's most important, of course). Don't wait until the shock wears off.
- Photograph the scene, and photograph and safely store your damaged property.
- Photograph your injuries.
- If there is information that is helpful to your case, make sure the police officer knows and puts it in the police report.
- Have your attorney handle communications between you and the insurance company.
- Remember that your own insurance policies may apply to the accident.